Overall, I’ve been having a ton of fun planning out meals based on what I bring home from the farmers market. I’ve always loved to focus my meals around fresh produce as the key ingredient and planning meals this way aligns really well with that goal.
As a result, nothing major has gone to waste and I feel much better about cooking through the busy hectic weeknights because I’ve already chosen what I want to make ahead of time.
Hopefully some of the ideas below will inspire you to cook, too! Have questions? Let me know in the comments!
Oh! I should mention: the list below is a result of two weeks' worth of cooking. If I did all of this in one week I'd be flat out. 😛
Week of 8/6
Strawberry Basil Jam
Farmers Market ingredients used: strawberries, basil
- Basil is optional but highly recommended!
Recipe inspiration: Kale and Compass
Cherry Tomato Confit
Farmers Market ingredients used: cherry tomatoes
- This is an absolute must-try for summer. Amazing flavor and texture.
Recipe inspiration: Ful-filled
Farmers Market ingredients used: nectarines, blueberries
- Subbed in coconut oil for butter and works just as well. Careful with broiling: this burns easily!
Recipe inspiration: Pinch of Yum
Summer Squash Curry
Farmers Market ingredients used: zucchini, summer squash
- I’ve adapted this heavily for my own tastes (and to make it vegan). Will be writing a recipe for my version soon!
Recipe inspiration: The New York Times
Corn Fritters (Pancakes)
Farmers Market ingredients used: corn, jalapenos
- I love Andrea Bemis, everything she cooks is delish. These did not disappoint.
Recipe inspiration: Andrea Bemis
Farmers Market ingredients used: cucumber, basil
- A great way to use a bunch of cucumbers! Made with leftover cashew “cheese.” Basil works fine instead of mine. Did not blend but kept it chunky (our preference).
Farmers Market ingredients used: green bell peppers, jalapenos
- Still working out a recipe of my own. Whenever I bring home a handful of bell peppers, this is my go-to method of cooking them lately.
Week of 8/13
Eggplant Falafel Salad
Farmers Market ingredients used: eggplant, frisee, green beans
Other ingredients used: za’atar, tzatziki (leftover from previous week)
- Falafel came out great. I baked mine instead of pan-frying and also heavily adapted the recipe. Once I develop a fool-proof falafel recipe, I’ll share on the blog!
- I love frisee as a salad green. Not too bitter, not too limp! Tasty.
- The beautiful purple green beans cooked up green, sadly. But they still tasted good!
Recipe inspiration: Dishing up the Dirt
Tomato Feta Galette
Farmers Market ingredients used: cherry tomatoes, yellow onion
Other ingredients used: feta, kalamata olives
- Deb Perelman is a food goddess. This is my new go-to pie crust recipe, hands down. So simple. Lots of butter.
- The filling can be easily interchanged. For this one, I used cherry tomatoes, onions, kalamata olives, and feta.
Recipe inspiration: Smitten Kitchen
Farmers Market ingredients used: tomatillos
Other ingredients used: jalapenos, shallots, garlic, limes
- Been making this for a year now and it never disappoints. Easy, quick, simple to throw together. Tons of flavor.
- Freezes very well.
- I’ve modified it a bit from the Epi recipe and will be posting a blog w/ the complete process soon!
Recipe inspiration: Epicurious
Sweet Corn, Potato and Caramelized Onion Pizza
Farmers Market ingredients used: sweet corn, yukon gold potatoes, yellow onion
Other ingredients used: garlic, flour, olive oil, yeast
- We loved this combo of ingredients, they were delish!
- I’ll be posting a recipe of the pizza dough I use soon because it’s a great standby and so simple to put together when you’re craving a hot pie 😛