Editor's note: Please enjoy this post from our friends at Puratium!
If you are looking for gifts contributing to greener living for your loved ones, this article is for you!
We will focus on giving you ideas that are zero waste, sometimes DIY, and entirely plastic and toxic-free.
Additionally, should your budget allow it, we would like to recommend items that are eco-friendly and sustainable; these come from brands committed to low waste manufacturing and shipping practices.
There are plenty of zero waste gift ideas and articles, like this one at Puratium, that give you unique perspectives on potential gifts. Hence, you are bound to find at least one item in here that you had not thought of.
For The Kitchen
- Beeswax wraps: These reusable, washable wraps will adapt to any container, hence reducing the need for aluminum foil. You can also use it for packaging food.
- Glass Straws: Did you know that non-recyclable plastic straws are among the top 10 trash items commonly found on beaches? Every day, 500 million of these are used in the US (1). Let’s reduce waste and promote glass or stainless straws which are easily reusable and recyclable, and look super trendy in any glass!
- Bamboo dinnerware: Bowls, cutlery, plates, whatever you believe could be missing in your loved one’s home, bamboo is not only a popular thing; it is a philosophy of life towards more sustainable habits in our kitchen.
- A reusable cotton bag: This gift will be useful when shopping for groceries or organizing different items at home.
Cruelty-Free Personal Care Gifts
- Zero waste shampoo and soap bars: We particularly like EcoRoots’ collection of vegan, super foamy bars available in different scents.
- High-quality organic lotion, and why not a zero waste beauty kit with reusable cotton rounds, natural deodorant, hand lotion and the like.
- Makeup: If you are looking for glamorous, ethical beauty products, we encourage you to have a look at written articles on reliable makeup brands.
Did you know that conventional – intense smelling – candles can contain harmful chemicals? Make sure to opt for natural, sustainably made candles.
We particularly like Brooklyn Candles Studio’s vegan candles: They are made from soy wax and phthalate-free perfume oils infused with essential oils.
If you are looking for a gift that directly contributes to supporting a cause, then have a look at Conscious Step.
The brand is dedicated to more than ‘doing just good’: They donate 1 USD for each pair of socks sold to various charities. To name just a few, you can buy socks that will specifically help LGBTQ communities, prevent cancer and fight malaria, or conserve rainforest and plant trees. You choose!
And all this with a production process that supports farms and factories with fair wages, safe facilities for all workers, and sustainable materials. Thus, their socks are GOTS certified (clean, organic cotton) and vegan friendly.
Plants and Aromatic Herbs
You can, of course, buy some at your local flower shop. However, we encourage you to prepare a starter kit.
A few seeds, fertile ground, a few second-hand pots, and there you have it! An affordable, home-friendly gift that will allow your gift recipient to flavor dishes with fresh herbs.
Digital & Online Ideas
- E-Books or music.
- Membership for magazines or newspapers.
- Vouchers: For example, from your local organic shop or a nearby beauty salon that uses sustainable cosmetics?
- Eco-friendly purses made of recycled materials. We are huge fans of the British brand Elvis & Kresse. Did you know they create beautiful, stylish handbags, wallets, and other luxury accessories made of old fire hoses? How cool is it to divert all this waste from landfills?
- Solar-powered watches: Based in Canada, Solios is committed to making green innovation accessible to everybody. Their stylish, classic watches are built to last a lifetime and replace the equivalent of 20 batteries! Made with durable straps and premium stainless steel, this gift is an excellent investment.
- Sustainably made sunglasses: Let’s avoid cheap, plastic made sunglasses and opt for sustainable wooden eyewear like Grown Design ones. No pair is made the same! They make sure their resources are ethically sourced and come from forests that fall under the Forest Stewardship Council’s standards.
- If you love cooking and baking, then you don’t need much of an incentive, right? Everyone appreciates homemade cakes or bread, for example.
- If you are creative (and patient), consider knitting a pair of socks or a scarf. If you are ready to do some upcycling, handmade jewelry or decorated mason jars (to reuse as candles holders) can be an original way to show how much you care.
- Toy pets, made, for example, from clothes in poor conditions and tennis balls.
We hope this review will help you make the perfect choice. Whether you were looking for affordable, personalized gifts or for stylish, ethically made accessories from trustworthy brands, there is something for everybody.
Always remember, that you can turn just about anything into a gift if you think a little bit outside of the box. Finding gifts made out of reusable items for example, can lead to very creative results.
Ultimately, try to have fun with the process. If you feel we forgot any, don’t hesitate to let us know.